PDA

View Full Version : 2012 London Olympics betting

casper
10th July 2012, 03:37 PM
I know it's not for a few weeks yet, but I've been champing at the bit for the Olympics to start. I've never bet on Olympics events before, but plan to have a few punts here and there for 2012.

On my radar at the moment are:

Men's Basketball
USA - GOLD @ 1.19
The squad says it all: http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/national/2012MOLYroster.html
How do they pick a starting five from that group?

Women's Basktellball
USA - GOLD @ 1.16
The primary threats are Russia and Australia, but the US women's team has a great record at the Olympics.

You can get 1.17 on Australia to be medalists, and 1.25 for Russia to be medalists.

Women's 100m Hurdles
Sally Pearson (AUS) - GOLD @ 1.30
She's a champion and ran a 12.40 at the Paris Diamond League meet earlier this month.

Women's shot put

It will likely come down to these two:

Valerie Adams (NZL) - SILVER @ unknown odds
Wikipedia: "She is the reigning women's Olympic champion and three-time World champion, two-time Commonwealth and World Indoor champion. She currently holds the New Zealand, Oceanian, Commonwealth and equal World Championship records with a personal best throw of 21.24 metres."

Nadzeya Ostapchuk (Belarus) - GOLD @ unknown odds
Adams has dominated the sport for years, but Ostapchuk has beaten the Kiwi's best throw of the year four times in the space of a month. She has also topped Adams' career best twice.

I'll add more in time. What events are on everyone else's radar?

casper
10th July 2012, 04:46 PM
I'm not sure if I will be touching any medals tally betting, but FYI here are the medal predictions that are based on competitor form in each individual event:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/london-olympics/medal-table

rotten_luck
11th July 2012, 03:55 PM
great info casper!!

as for me, i'm merely looking forward to the indoor cycling, road cycling, swimming, mens & womens 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 1500m sprinting plus the relays, triathlon, rowing, diving, basketball, gymnastics...

loving the 8 channels on foxtel coming up!!

casper
24th July 2012, 05:30 PM
Here's a bit more...

Men's Cycling (individual time trial)
I rate Wiggins' (GBR) chances for gold @ 1.91. The 44 km distance should suit him. Cancellara @ 3.55 is his biggest threat. He left the Tour de France early for the birth of his second child. I wonder what his preparation will be like for the Olympics...

Men's Cycling (road race)
Cavendish (GBR) @ 2.14 is really short so I presume it's a fairly flat course... Sagan @ 8.00 is a chance if there's a breakaway.

casper
29th July 2012, 10:04 AM
Rowing - Mens Eight
I've heard that the German team haven't lost in four years! I've backed them @ 1.20

Basketball
I'm not quite sure about USA women's basketball now. I reckon Australia have a decent chance this year. Their game against Russia will be crucial.

The USA men's team still look good for gold.

Women's heptathlon
I've got my eye on Jessica Ennis (GBR) @ 1.76. She seems to be the poster girl for athletics in the UK.

casper
1st August 2012, 03:49 PM
Women's Cycling (individual time trial)
I've backed (equal bets):
Arndt (GER) @ 3.20
Pooley (GBR) @ 4.20
Villumsen (NZL) @ 9.60

2010 UCI Road World Championships time trial results

1. Pooley
2. Arndt
3. Villumsen

2011 UCI Road World Championships time trial results