Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Australia Sports Betting Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Betfair

Exchanges by volumes

Hi,

First time poster and long time site user.

I am reaching out to the more informed and learned; After a few years of using Betfair for horse, tennis and other sports betting, I am finding that I am often exhausting offered volumes, particularly on AUS/NZ horses and some UK.

I would like to expand to other exchanges but find that theres a lack of information on number of users and level of volumes offered on the following; Betdaq, Smakets and Matchbook. Searches do not reveal anything and reviews do not offer anything either.

Which of the three above are likely to have the largest volumes on offer? Which plays second fiddle to Betfair? and how do they rank in order of number of users/volume from most to least.

Look forward to feedback and your thoughts.

B.

Hi bosanac,

Welcome to the forum!

Betfair has been the long-term leader for liquidity but Matchbook has been catching up rapidly and may have actually overtaken them. I've just taken a casual look at a few markets and found Matchbook is currently offering much more liquidity on tennis, with comparable levels for soccer. It also has Betfair beaten for the NCAAB Championship Game tomorrow morning. It's hard to provide a precise comparison unfortunately because the liquidity varies so much between fixtures and the various markets for each fixture.

Just to provide one set of comparisons, below are screenshots for head-to-head markets of an upcoming tennis match.

Betfair:
    2016-04-03_betfair.gif

Matchbook:
    2016-04-03_matchbook.gif

Smarkets:
    2016-04-03_smarkets.gif

Matchbook is head and shoulders above the others for high stakes wagering on that fixture.

Of the three only Betfair offers Australian horse racing. Smarkets offers UK racing with modest liquidity, while Matchbook as of now only offers one ante-post market for the Grand National!

I highly recommend using an additional exchange to Betfair because you can shop around for the best odds. If you're betting on popular sports then Matchbook is certainly worth a look.

Smarkets is decent for soccer, but their range of markets is more limited for other sports and the liquidity generally isn't as good as Betfair. With that being said, they are definitely catching up fast.

I can't comment on Betdaq, I'm afraid, because they're not available to Australian residents, so I haven't been able to try them.

To give them a ranking, taking account of the fact that Betfair is the only one to offer Australian horse racing, it would be:

Betfair > Matchbook > Smarkets

Looking at just sports, however, it may well be that Matchbook comes out on top.

Matchbook > Betfair > Smarkets

Hope that helps! I have actually planned to do a proper liquidity comparison study between the three and will hope to get a start on that once I can find the time.
    Last edited by admin; 4th April 2016 at 08:26 PM.

Hi Admin,

This reply is a bit late, but wanted to thank you for the info, you were right on the money re Matchbook, particularly in relation to sports.

Have one other question , what do you think of https://www.pinnaclebet.com.au , they seem very new to me ; as in last 4-5 months. The look and feel is identical to Pinnacle sports, even the motto about winners welcome.

I was wondering if you had any insight into the operation and know basically if they are legitimate

Hi Admin,

This reply is a bit late, but wanted to thank you for the info, you were right on the money re Matchbook, particularly in relation to sports.

Have one other question , what do you think of https://www.pinnaclebet.com.au , they seem very new to me ; as in last 4-5 months. The look and feel is identical to Pinnacle sports, even the motto about winners welcome.

I was wondering if you had any insight into the operation and know basically if they are legitimate/ legal?

Take it easy, bosanac

Hi bosanac,

My understanding is that Pinnacle Bet is a Norfolk Island licenced bookmaker that has been launched in partnership with Pinnacle Sports.

Based on casual observation I've seen that Pinnacle Bet doesn't offer as good odds as the primary brand. I've also heard that the limits aren't as high. The other key differences are:
    - It uses the old Pinnacle Sports website template
    - More localised payment options for Australians
    - Horse racing is offered
    - No live betting

I don't know how valid the claims are, but I have heard complaints about the website having bugs with poor customer support. I believe it was only soft launched and isn't heavily marketed. It may be a hedge bet for Pinnacle Sports in case they can no longer offer their primary website to Australians.

Unless you take a particular liking to their horse racing product I would stick with Pinnacle Sports.