Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    • Aug 2011

Congratulations to everyone who backed Leicester City to win the 2015/16 EPL

The following is a press release from William Hill regarding the fact that Leicester City are on the verge of winning the 2015/16 English Premier League having started the season at 5,001 odds. What I'd give to own a time machine!

------------------

Bookmaker William Hill are now quoting Leicester City at $1.03 to win the Premier League, having been $5001 (0.02% chance of happening) at the start of the season. Despite this, 25 hardy souls (24 men and one woman) backed the Foxes to win the title at this price. 40% of all the wagers placed at $5001 have now been cashed out, however $67 remains - which will pay out $366,612 to those who have been brave enough to see their bet through to the bitter end.

One such punter who took advantage of the $5001 odds is 39-year-old Leigh Herbert, who as a teenager, used to work at Leicester’s Filbert Street ground. He wagered $10 upon the appointment of Claudio Ranieri as the Foxes manager. While his confidence waned as the season wore on (he partially cashed out $4 worth of his wager for $10,488) he still stands to scoop around $28,000 if the Premier League trophy is lifted by Wes Morgan.

Of his cash out, Leigh said at the start of April “I am a big Leicester fan and I strongly believe they will go on to win the Premier League. But my fiancĂ©e has made me acknowledge that sometimes you have to make decisions with both your head and your heart. I still have a decent chunk on Leicester and will be watching this go down to the wire.”

William Hill’s largest individual payout will be to Guildford’s (UK) gutsiest punter, who wagered $140 at $1501 when the season was just a few weeks old. He has not cashed out and so stands to win over $215,000. The total returns for wagers placed at $1501 is over $1,430,000.

Globally, William Hill have taken over $725,000 on Leicester and following $692,500 worth of cash outs the final payout when/should Leicester lift the trophy currently stands at over $5,780,000. The loss to the bookmaking industry stands at around $20m – unsurprisingly the biggest in Premier League history.

“We stand to lose a small fortune if Leicester do what everybody must now be expecting them to do,” said a William Hill spokesperson. “$5001 is the biggest priced winner in betting history!”
    Last edited by admin; 2 May 2016, 05:16 PM.
Working...
X