Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Australia Sports Betting Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Betfair

Handicap/choose your own line betting

Hi all.

I'm trying to work on a new strategy for my punting - is there anyone out there that can give me a pros and cons, do and don'ts and traps to watch out for when betting on the handicap or a line?

I'm thinking of AFL, league, basketball, super 15's and NFL.

As a side note, does anyone know of the top bookies for offering choose your own line bets?

Cheers everyone!

Hey Dougie

Some people love line betting, but I'm one of those who feels more comfortable with H2H betting. The risk is the players' incentives are not in line with what you need to win the bet. I've been burned a number of times when a team I have backed to win easily take the foot off the gas and coast. It's annoying when a team covers the line early only to ease up and fall ball behind it at full time.

I do like line betting when I know the team I'm backing to win need to improve their for and against - like in the AFL on occasion. I also like backing the underdog at the line when I think they're a chance to win but want something safer than a H2H bet.

Sportsbet and Luxbet offer pick your own line. I think it's quite popular so most bookies will offer it before long I reckon.

Oh, one more thing. American teams (NFL etc) often ease up if they have a good lead. I remember yelling at the TV once when the Steelers took a knee near field goal range in the dying minutes when they were a point away from covering my line bet.

Thanks very much for that Casper - much appreciated!