Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Australia Sports Betting Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Betfair

Hybrid View

Cool Who will be your Premier League champions in the 2021-2022 season?

I think if MU and Mancity are one of the top candidates, they will recruit many good stars after the end of last season.

I don't know but Chelsea will not win!
    Mark my words
    I am not a prophet!

minotaurfightstore | minotaurfightstore
    Last edited by CharlotteHoffman; 4th December 2021 at 05:16 AM.

At the moment I'm in the Chelsea camp, with City and Liverpool the other major contenders.

Manchester United are looking very strong this season but my heart is with Liverpool <3

Yeah, the signing of Ronaldo changes the landscape a bit! I'm sticking for now with what I said in August. History is stacked against reigning EPL champions and Man City might prioritise the Champions League given they have never won it. Chelsea remain my pick but Liverpool are also a massive chance.

We'll learn more about the title contenders this weekend when Chelsea host Man City. I'm over the moon that they've scheduled it for a watchable time for me (9:30 PM on the Australian east coast). The round ends well too, with the no-love-lost derbies between Arsenal & Tottenham, then Crystal Palace vs. Brighton.

At the other end of the table my shortlist for relegation candidates is currently Norwich, Watford and Burnley. Depending on how injuries hit each team, Newcastle and Crystal Palace could find themselves in a spot of bother, but if they stay close to full strength I believe both teams will avoid the drop. Some shock possibilities for relegation are Southampton and Wolves. Leeds have had a disappointing start but I reckon they'll be fine.

I'm actually sad for Arsenal. Never been a fan, but always thought they were a strong and strong-willed team, especially under Arsene Wenger. But what's happening to them now is a complete mess.

Yeah, it's interesting how far Arsenal have fallen. I used to love watching them during the Henry, Bergkamp & co era. That squad played some of the most beautiful football I have ever seen. Fast forward to this season and that game against Man City was horrific. Arsenal looked like they were playing an FA Cup tie against a team two divisions above.

When Arsenal lose I head straight to AFTV for a good laugh. I have nothing against the club, I just enjoy their passionate rants . Just when I thought I took football seriously!

Every team has had dark periods, but as you know, after darkness comes light.

Part of that source of light could be this weekend's fixture. A win over Tottenham would put smiles on their faces!

Big derby coming up, it's going to be very interesting

I've changed my mind. I now feel more sorry for Spurs!

Manchester United and Everton showed a great fight for 3rd place.

i cant see everton doing much after that watford loss at home. big hit for their confidence!

Yeah that was an awful result, especially given their rivals Liverpool swatted aside Watford 5-0 the week before. Dominic Calvert-Lewin can't come back from injury soon enough.

Some other takeaways from last round:

Leeds - have yet to hit the form they showed last season. Injuries have exposed their squad depth. They should be fine once they're back to full strength, but it seems like as one player gets fit, another gets injured.

Palace - remind me a bit of Brighton in that they have been playing good football without getting the results they feel they deserve. Christian Benteke is too wasteful in front of goal.

Man Utd - is Solskjaer the right man for them or did he get this position too early in his managerial career? To lose 5-0 at home to Liverpool is devastating.

Liverpool - look much more like what we saw two seasons ago now that their defensive injury woes have abated. I'm hoping we see an epic three-way battle between Chelsea, City and Liverpool for the title.

Norwich - oh dear...

liverpool look so strong but dont know if they have the depth of chelsea or city. city need a new LB and ST but kinda doing it by committee right now.

Great win for Liverpool over MU, even Ronaldo couldn't help them

Man U bounced back with that win over Tottenham, but Spurs were absolutely awful. I reckon United fans will be nervous ahead of their City clash this weekend.

Crystal Palace v Wolves should be a good game. Both sides are in confident form.

Southampton will kick themselves if they can't see of the injury-hit Aston Villa. Likewise Leicester City will hope to take advantage of the injuries at Leeds.

Everton v Tottenham will be interesting. Benitez is under pressure and Tottenham begin life under Conte.

West Ham v Liverpool should have some goals in it.

Arsenal have made a good habit of beating teams that they're expected to beat, so I expect they'll see off Watford.

I don't like national team breaks, but what can you do, waiting for the next round of the Premier League

I know your pain Farraj90! I have no interest in the international break fixtures either.

We have an interesting round coming up given the new managerial appointments. Norwich, Newcastle, Aston Villa and Tottenham are all at home this weekend, which adds extra spice.

I'm also interested in the Burnley v Crystal Palace fixture because both are in season-best form.

Arsenal are on a long unbeaten streak but they didn't play the likes of Liverpool during that run. Chelsea and Man City both swatted Arsenal aside at the beginning of the season so it will be interesting to see whether they suffer the same fate at Anfield, or whether Arsenal's improved confidence will pay dividends.

Personally, I plan to bet on Chealsea. In my opinion they have a good chance. Plus, I've been a Chealsea fan since I was a kid.

The title race is shaping up nicely between Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool. I backed Chelsea at the start of the season but now I couldn't pick the winner out of those three.

The race for fourth is intriguing too, given the expected boost at Man Utd and Tottenham with their new managers. Will Arsenal and West Ham be able to keep pace?

The battle to avoid relegation is also interesting. By my count there are nine clubs that could possibly drop. Given the smaller teams have less squad depth, injuries could play a big role. Just look at the struggles at the injury-plagued Leeds compared to last season. Newcastle are expected to be boosted in the January transfer window, which will spice things up.

All in all, I'm loving this season!

What are your thoughts for the midweek games? I reckon Newcastle could be on the end of a hiding at Anfield!

They've been made harder to predict by covid. The Brentford v Man Utd game has been postponed while Brighton, Tottenham, Leicester, Aston Villa and Norwich have all had confirmed cases.

Yeah, Newcastle could get pummelled. Looking at their recent defeats at Anfield (the last four), all were by 2+ goals, so Liverpool -1.5 could be the go.

Everton could get thrashed too when they visit Chelsea. They were appalling against Crystal Palace. Everton might be the next team to see a change in manager.

Brighton v Wolves looks like it will be a low scoring affair. Wolves' last five games have seen 1, 0, 0, 1 and 1 total goals. Brighton are well-known draw machines so 0-0 or 1-1 at fulltime?

Leeds remain banged up which isn't a great thing for their visit to Man City.

Burnley v Watford is interesting. Burnley love to shut up shop and play for 0-0 draws against better teams, but against weaker teams when at home they have a go, which has resulted in higher scores (3-3 v Palace, 3-1 v Brentford). Watford concede goals aplenty but they score too (both teams scored in their last five games), so the game could end up with a surprising number of goals.

Back in September I was talking about how sorry I felt for Arsenal and how bad they were doing, but it's only been two months since they got back into the race for the top 4 xD

Yeah and not long ago Tottenham were rubbish too. City, Liverpool and Chelsea look a cut above, then Arsenal & Tottenham look competitive in the race for fourth.

The covid disruptions will be rough for a few sides later in the season. Burnley have only played 15 games! Later on they'll be playing twice a week for ages in an attempt to make up for the postponements.

The January transfer window for Newcastle will be interesting. With just 10 points from 18 games so far, can they spend their away out of that hole?

One interesting spanner in the works is the African Cup of Nations, which starts in January. As one example, Crystal Palace have lost Wilfried Zaha (Ivory Coast), Jordan Ayew (Ghana) and Cheikhou Kouyate (Senegal) to their preliminary national team squads.
    Last edited by blackswan; 27th December 2021 at 04:28 PM.

I thoroughly enjoyed the FA Cup action last weekend. Nothing beats a good cup upset!

This EPL round looks fantastic on paper. The games I have my eye on are:

Brighton v Crystal Palace
    Great rivalry game. Palace are understrength due to the Africa Cup of Nations so my lean is Brighton +0.5. Palace have only won one away game this season.

Man City v Chelsea
    A top of the table clash but Man City have a whopping ten-point lead over Chelsea. I have to lean towards City given Chelsea's stumbles over the last month.

Norwich v Everton
    Two teams desperate for a win. Norwich haven't scored in six games and lost all six of them. Everton have been dreadful too but at least they've been scoring. My lean is Everton to win, but with not much confidence.

Newcastle v Watford
    Another game featuring two teams desperate for a win. With trepidation I have to lean towards Newcastle given their new signings and the fact that Watford have lost six straight and conceded 16 goals in the process.

Aston Villa v Man Utd
    A rematch of their FA Cup game last weekend except Aston Villa host this time. I'm leaning towards Villa +0.5 in this one.

Tottenham v Arsenal
    Tottenham will be relishing the fact that Arsenal were reduced to 10 men for much of their midweek EFL Cup semi-final against Liverpool. Spurs should be the fresher of the two sides. Both teams are definitely on the up at the moment. Arsenal did immensely well to hold Liverpool to a 0-0 at Anfield with ten men.

You know, I think Australian football has reached a new level now. They have very interesting players, and there is every chance these guys will show the Europeans what real football is. On this site, I found a very interesting topic discussing one of the players of the Australian league Griffin Logue. After learning more about him, I realized that this guy would soon become known in the outside world. Does anyone know who else of the young footballers has every chance of becoming a rising football star?
    Last edited by Burgessfrus; 28th April 2022 at 11:33 PM.